Oceans 5: A Funders Collaborative Dedicated to the World’s Five Oceans
Oceans 5 – This international funders collaborative includes new and experienced philanthropists with a common inspiration for collaborative, results-oriented grantmaking. The funders desire to secure tangible improvements in global ocean health, while also strengthening ocean conservation philanthropy.
Oceans 5 makes direct grants, leverages matching grants, provides in-kind services and shares strategic guidance – all to support its grantees. Oceans 5 focuses on projects and campaigns to constrain overfishing and to establish marine reserves. They are inspired by projects that are significant and strategic, particularly if they provide tangible and lasting benefits to the world’s oceans. Oceans 5 prefers projects that engage multiple organizations working toward common objectives over discrete periods of time. The collaborative welcomes the opportunity to work with potential grantees to help develop ideas and strategies.
Oceans 5 partners commit $1 million annually for a minimum of 3 years. Members provide significant support for individual projects, typically over $200,000 annually. Partners serve on the Board of Directors and maintain primary responsibility for guiding projects through the design and approval process. Members participate in all discussions and meetings. As appropriate, Oceans 5 also provides guidance to other philanthropies interested in marine conservation.
- Protecting Remote British Overseas Territories
- Regulating Deep Sea Mining
- Reducing Unsustainable Shark Trade
- Creating a Marine Park in the Cook Islands
- Constraining Illegal Fishing: Eastern Tropical Pacific
- Protecting Niue
- Improving China’s Domestic Fisheries
- Protecting the Seychelles
- Protecting Russia’s Arctic
- Expanding Pacific Remote Islands Monument
- Controlling Illegal Fishing in Europe
- Protecting the Phoenix Islands
- Protecting Canada’s Northwest Passage
- Protecting Antarctica
- Improving Seafood Traceability
- Strengthening High Seas Governance