- Pristine Seas Selvagens Expedition
- Expedition Proposal
- Blog Post: Selvagens Islands
- Blog Post: Rogue Wave Reveals Rich Underwater Habitat
- From Sea to Sky: Creatures of the Selvagens Islands
- Expedition Videos: Waitt Foundation YouTube
- Pristine Seas: Interim Report on Findings, Selvagens 2015
- Final Report: Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Health of Ilhas Selvagens, Portugal
The Waitt Foundation partnered with National Geographic’s Pristine Seas and their team headed up by explorer Paul Rose, for a 10-day expedition to the Selvagens Islands, south of Madeira in the Eastern Atlantic Ocean. We conducted film operations as well as the first surveys gauging the health of the underwater ecosystems, from shallow to deep. Our expedition visited both island groups, deploying drop cams, drones and dive teams and was a hugely successful effort. The results of the expedition will be used to advise the Portuguese government on the expansion of the present Marine Protected Area around the Selvagens, which currently extends only waters down to 200 meters depth.
Click photos to enlarge and see more!